Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 18:08:19 PDT

"Eugene PANTANO" <snoshu@market1.com> wrote:
> Because the Army determined as we all know...that straight weight
> oils..30 -- 40 --etc... have a lot of paraffin in them....it tends to clog
> engines with sludge...simply because a lot of engines are never used enough
> to heat them up...and also because the Army wanted to go to A "ONE" oil
> system...much easier to stock in the PLL system...15W40 is a very good
> oil...as are a lot of other oils...but it was deemed the best "all around"
> oil in the system..Gene

The LO for my M998 HMMWV authorizes 15W40 as an optional alternative
to SAE 30 or SAE 10 down to +5 deg. F, but I just run SAE 30 in it
since it never gets anywhere near +15 deg. F where I live. My
M44-series 2.5-ton LO is dated August, 1988, and it appears to be the
same version that's up on the ETM's Online site. It does not list
15W40 as an option. If there's a newer LO, I'd like to get my hands on
a copy.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/