Re: [MV] Towing 12 v. trailer with 24 v. M35

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 05:26:39 PDT

>Electric Brakes on average can draw arounf 3 amps each. So if you have
>brakes on one axle you will draw around 6 amps. My Trail King lowboy draws
>around 12 amps total for dual axles and uses a 20 amp fuse......

Is that full application current draw? In other words, there is no in-between,
either they are full on or not.

>For the brakes, how about wiring the brakes in series pairs and powering
them
>with 24 volts?

This would be a good solution. It assumes that the coils in each wheel are
not internally grounded. I've not had to take a trailer w/ electric brakes
apart
to make that determination. Also, if you loose one coil in the series
setup, you loose
both series connected brakes. But I think that to can be solved.

On a two axle system, wiring an axle 24 Volt would be fine. If you loose a
coil on
one axle, you still have the remainder. Just like modern hydralic brakes
with the dual master cylinder.

Getting back to the original note that started this dialog,
my understanding was that the lister, wanted to construct something
simple, and RELIABLE, so if he needed to tow someone elses civi trailer,
he can without redoing anything on that rig. Just plug and tow.
A universal adapter.

That would interest me as well.

Ted.
MVPA 1705