Re: [MV] HR 4205 Update/Status

From: JEFF HAIN-MATSON (flmv@flmv.net)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 04:54:51 PDT

"Robert D. Brooke" wrote:

> JEFF HAIN-MATSON wrote:
>
> > What you and other knee jerk reactionaries (including 60 minutes) are missing is
> > that existing laws
> > if enforced would keep nut cases from ARMING a restored Cobra, B17, or M8
> > armored car.

this was not meant as a personal flame. after rereading it i could have stated things
better, sorry.

> This is a rude flame and name calling to boot. I do not know what Jeff
> has done to stop Section 361 from becoming law. I have written 5
> e-mails, (with multiple copies), have called 4 Congressmen's offices,
> have talked personally eyeball to eyeball to my own Congressman, have
> written one snail mail letter, and have talked extensively to a senior
> Republican staff member to try to get Section 361 thrown out. I have not
> written my own Senators, they are named Boxer and Feinstein, need I say
> more?

what jeff has done is to write his congressman. and senators.

> If Jeff (and any others?) think they should be able to "play" with
> active weapons systems because they have the right, they are entitled to
> their opinion. But I don't deserve to be flamed because I believe
> some restrictions on surplus weapons systems, reasonably administered,

the laws are in place to restrict weapons.
the problem you have missed is that when you use the words "weapon systems" the
government includes anything you can mount a weapon on, i.e. 2 1/2 ton, 5 ton, humvee,
mutt, m548, just to name a few.

> and subject to court review, may be in the public interest. I share the
> concern that government bureaucrats may not be reasonable in their
> interpretation of laws and regulations, and that is why I so objected to
> the vagueness of 361, as it is presently drafted. Unlike some on this
> list who have apparently done little or nothing, I have done my best to
> influence the legislative process. This does not deserve a flame, and I
> resent it.
>
> > If you are worried about an aircraft that cost +-$800,000.00 to restore and
> > about $500.00 to $1000.00 an hour to operate plus yearly overhauls, than we
> > better round up all the equipment mentioned in HR 4205 and send it to the
> > smelter.
>
> These "big bucks" are nothing to a terrorist group, foreign or domestic,

> or to the governments of:

well if that's the situation than we better follow through and round up ALL EX
MILITARY VEHICLES and get them to the smelter real quick so we will all be safe!

> Iran
> Libya
> Iraq
> PLO
> Serbia
> North Korea
> etc.
>
> So to Jeff, and his ilk, if you are not interested in learning the
> latest on pending legislation which affects us all, then just hit your
> delete button, and quit flaming those who want Section 361 thrown out,
> but may differ from you as to what is the best approach to get that
> done. You continue to rant and rave, I'll continue to try to influence
> and pressure my elected representatives.
>
> Bob Brooke

you have totally mis-understood my post, and had you had the decency to mail me direct
we could have clarified my intent.

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES      WEB SITE:   www.flmv.net