[MV] Voltage Regulators

From: Brown, Herb (BRown@ida.org)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 06:55:40 PDT

Anyone out there familiar with old voltage regulators and able to describe
their operation on a 1945 MB?

I asked earlier this week, and got a couple of responses from people
offering services for a nominal fee. That's always an option, but I am
trying to learn as much about my vehicle as possible as I restore it. I
might add, I have taken off the cover off and everything looks very clean
and points look almost new -- so it may be working OK.

What I have concluded so far follows: I have 3 solenoids (voltage
regulator, current regulator, and cut-out) inside the regulator system. The
voltage regulator is normally closed, and opens the generator field circuit
when voltage exceeds some threshold (probably 8 volts). The winding for the
voltage regulator coil comes from the generator armature and goes to ground.
It appears that the other side of the voltage regulator points connects to
the points of the current regulator solenoid.

At this stage my knowledge of the circuitry breaks down for both the current
regulator and the cut-out. I am getting continuity to ground just about
everywhere, even when I open up the points. Can this be caused by the 8
volt pass condensers?

Due to these continuity readings, I am having difficulty following the
circuit path. For example, it is not clear to me where the other end of the
current regulator points connect with the wiring to the generator armature.
It is my perception that the current (out of the regulator system) drops as
the battery gets fully charged; however, it is not clear to me how this
arrangement actually regulates the current.

Finally, once I hook up everything, what are the specifications I should be
looking for to verify that the system is working properly, or that I have a
problem?

Thanks in advance for any help, Herb