Re: [MV] Voltage Regulators

From: ken uhrick (kuhrick@home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 07:41:29 PDT

At 09:55 AM 10/4/00 -0400, Brown, Herb wrote:
>Anyone out there familiar with old voltage regulators and able to describe
>their operation on a 1945 MB?
>
>I asked earlier this week, and got a couple of responses from people
>offering services for a nominal fee. That's always an option, but I am
>trying to learn as much about my vehicle as possible as I restore it. I
>might add, I have taken off the cover off and everything looks very clean
>and points look almost new -- so it may be working OK.
>
>What I have concluded so far follows: I have 3 solenoids (voltage
>regulator, current regulator, and cut-out) inside the regulator system. The
>voltage regulator is normally closed, and opens the generator field circuit
>when voltage exceeds some threshold (probably 8 volts). The winding for the
>voltage regulator coil comes from the generator armature and goes to ground.
>It appears that the other side of the voltage regulator points connects to
>the points of the current regulator solenoid.
>
>At this stage my knowledge of the circuitry breaks down for both the current
>regulator and the cut-out. I am getting continuity to ground just about
>everywhere, even when I open up the points. Can this be caused by the 8
>volt pass condensers?
>
>Due to these continuity readings, I am having difficulty following the
>circuit path. For example, it is not clear to me where the other end of the
>current regulator points connect with the wiring to the generator armature.
>It is my perception that the current (out of the regulator system) drops as
>the battery gets fully charged; however, it is not clear to me how this
>arrangement actually regulates the current.

i think it adds a rester too the fieldand the to drop the amps in the
arm. wire to keep from shocking the gen.
thats how the 3 term civy ones works
and the cutout opens wane the gen arm. volts is less than the batt volts
i think
a 30 year old moters car repair book will say this stuff better than i do
you mite need a 40 year old one