Re: [MV] Visit to New Zealand

From: Antoine (antoine@usa.net)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 23:48:03 PDT

Adam, I am not sure I would have much time for fun things, alas... I
was on the South Island shooting white river stunt scenes with a 1936
Chinese Sampan powered by a jet-boat engine, on the Buller River. We
had to cut it short due to heavy rain and the river swelling to
gargantuan and dangerous levels. We almost lost two people,
fortunately well-trained for that sort of water stunt-work. I was
really impressed by the Kiwis... Neil Ross built that craft in 12
(twelve!) days, and made it look like the one we used in China with
three photographs!
I am told we were the first company to shoot a movie on the Buller!
We were based in Murchison for most of our stay (2 weeks)
I have seen quite a few ex-Army Land-Rovers plying the dirt roads, but
no meaningful restorations...Sorry we coul not connect.... Maybe you
have seen something in the NZ Press about our filming?
Antoine