Re: [MV] M35A2's: turbo or not turbo?

From: Randy Orpe (sgtorpe@sierratel.com)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 21:14:50 PDT

The Turbo kits were introduced to reduce emissions from the LD multifuel
engine ( all that black smoke ). But, in addition, you can get quite a
noticeable increase in power by hanging a turbo on an LD engine, advancing
the timing a little and turning up the injector pump.
Remember all that black smoke, that is unburned fuel which is not making
horsepower. You pack more air in each stroke with a turbo and the black
smoke becomes more horsepower to the ground. Of course if you are pumping
more air in, you can increase the amount of fuel also, without emitting a
huge black cloud, which equals even more power.
The downside is that the multifuel engine isn't the most robust design ever
produced and the web spacing between the cylinders is, in my opinion, too
narrow. So, when you start cranking on more horses, go out and pull hills
for all the thing is worth, and you stress the engine that much more, there
is an nasty tendency to blow head gaskets. WHICH IS WHY you don't let your
friends drive you turned up truck under a load. They are a bitch to fix
correctly.

So much for theory, I guess

Randy