RE: [MV] unit markings

From: Rayfield, Robert S Jr Mr DUSA-IA/ANTEON (RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 05:20:12 PDT

Sam,
The mummy sleeping bag was introduced in 1949 as part of the M1949-series
cold-weather gear. Am not sure about canvas bedrool unless it is his wool
blanket and mattress rolled up in his canvas shelter half. Ground sheet
could be a poncho. Shirt with "rank patches with crossed rifles" - those
are called chevrons and with crossed rifles that should indicate that they
are Marine Corps chevrons. What kind of shirt were they on - khaki or
spruce green? What color were the stripes? If the shirt was khaki, the
chevrons should have green stripes on khaki background; if the shirt was
spruce green, the chevrons should have green stripes on a red background.
Crossed rifes were added to the chevrons in 1959, prior to that there was
nothing in the middle.

Value - sentimental mostly. Hope that helps.

R. S. Rayfield, Jr.
Major USMC (Ret)