Re: [MV] Winching, Wenching and drinking.........

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 19:22:21 PST

Issue 333 of PS Magazine (issue 333), pages 26 and 27 cover this in detail.
It shows the 3 different types that have been used. These are:

Headless brass pin held in place with a piece of tape. (the mag says the
brass pin is used on Gama Goat)

Headless aluminum pin, held with a cotter pin at each end.

Steel grooved headed pin (looks like the ones I've bought from Memphis
Equipment, and also looks like the one on the rear winch on my M62)

Page 27 shows a field expedient (which I have used more than once), when the
pin shears, there remains a large piece, which can be cut into, and the
pieces used to replace the broken pin.

FYI the front winch pin for G742 is NSN 5315-00-736-8685

I once bought a deuce that had had the lower portion of the winch gearcase
broken out, and there was a bolt in place of the shear pin.

A friend of mine tells me that a more common situation is for the PTO to be
torn out of the transmission. I do not doubt this, as I once had a hard pull
with my REO winch (pulling dead Stuart tank out of shallow ditch and onto
lowboy), and there was tremendous gear oil leak between the transmission
housing and PTO just before the pin sheared. Under "normal" loads there is
no leak (no loose bolts either).

I have stuck this same truck on a sandy riverbank, and sheared 3 pins two
times each before finally getting the truck out.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle