Re: [MV] Bren mounting

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 23:59:01 PST

The photos of the British 6th Armoured Division jeep with goofy Bren mount
show up in various jeep books from various angles. I agree soldiers would
ditch the strange gear as soon as possible.

British SAS SOMETIMES mounted a single Bren at the rear of the jeep (with
multiple other MGs up front) or more often mounted a single Bren on a post
on the left front fender for the driver to shoot with his left hand.

Canada mounted some Brens to the dash of some United Nations M38 or M38CDN
jeeps in the Middle East.

Basically Bren was CARRIED in jeeps (e.g. Airborne versions) but rarely
mounted.

Brens (singles or pairs) were mounted in rear of 15 Cwt trucks sometimes (as
were twin Vickers MMGs) but mainly in training and not usually in combat.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)