Re: [MV] Another UK Press article yesterday on war grave diggers

From: Jim Webster (jimweb@simonides.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 04:58:49 PST

NIGEL HAY wrote:

> The British press are at it again - there is TV coverage of this on C4 this
> afternoon... the Sun is known to be over sensationalist but make your own
> minds up
>
> http://www.the-sun.co.uk/
>
> GHOULS DIG UP WAR HEROES

They have exaggerated it a bit but it is true. We have come across these
people before and while most of them are okay there are some who are
beneath contempt.

It is interesting to note that the french have now passed a law that
only allows the national archaeological service to conduct
archaeological digs and, essentially, this is what these people are
doing. So there are likely to be a few arrests and convictions and then
this practice will quietly expire.

Bad news for us though as we have been conducting extensive magnetometer
surveys to locate lost WW1 tanks and now may not be allowed to excavate
them.......

TTFN
Jim
Honorary Secretary
ICQ: 58721472 [usually online 1900-2000 UK Time]