Re: [MV] Hard top Humves for sale!!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 23:17:14 PST

M1009@aol.com wrote:

> Check this out, this guy says he has hard top humves
> for sale at $12,000.
> I am going to send in a deposit pretty soon. Maybe if
> enogh people join in, we can get the shiping price down.
>
> http://free.prohosting.com/~orb97/militaryhumvee.htm

Hmm, I'm a bit skeptical. No, I take that back. I'm very skeptical. I
understand that the reserve prices at the Riverside auction about a
year ago were $17,500 for running trucks, $14,500 for trucks that
would start but smoked like dirty chimneys, and $12,500 for trucks
that couldn't be started with a battery cart and a can of ether. And
that was for trucks with no tops, doors, cushions, tail pipes, rear
seats, etc. And that was the dealer price. For $12,000, I'd expect to
get one of those residue trucks pictured at the bottom, assuming the
deal is legitimate.

The pictures aren't all that clear, but I didn't notice any signs of
the stenciled markins that were painted on the hoods of the auctioned
trucks, or any signs of the markings being painted over. I didn't see
any of the Atlanta trucks, but I saw about 100 HMMWVs at Riverside,
and they all were liberally marked with NSNs, "NO BATTERIES", and all
sorts of other markings. Makes me wonder whether those pictures were
just snapped at some military base...

So, if the deal is legitimate, my advice as a happy former-USMC
auction-HMMWV owner is that you don't cough up one cent until you
inspect YOUR truck in person VERY CAREFULLY, determine whether it
starts and runs or not, verify that it will come with a clear title,
and leave with the truck immediately after you pay.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/