Re: [MV] Spam problem

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 08:02:33 PST

Pete & the list,
    The problem is not from Arthur. The viruses get into individual members
systems (not via the list but from other emails) & then send themselves to
people in the address book. I would even guess that some viruses use
addresses from the Inbox, but that's only a guess. Arthur doesn't allow
attachments - where the viruses are - so even if the virus sent itself to the
list, it wouldn't get thru.
    What needs to happen is, everyone who's not protected, go download/buy
virus detection software, if you have software already, go get the .dat file
updates to make sure you're protected from the newest viruses.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my ISP scans emails for viruses as the
messages come in so they nuke the virus before it even gets to me. McAfee's
has never had the enjoyment of nuking a virus on my system. Since I'm not
doing anything illegal, I don't mind the extra security, not to mention, my
ISP is also my Bank so they already know everything about me anyway. =^)
    Required MV content - Today my new garages were finished... WAHOO!!!!
Now I have a place to restore the 1944 MB! Also, my wife & I went to the
Columbia Airshow a couple weeks ago. She originally just wanted to get her
jeep running & preserve it, after seeing all the MVs at the show, she wants
to restore it to military condition! So, I'll be working on her CJV-35/u
after I get the MB done. Looks like the projects are already stacking up!

Later,
Brian Mead