Re: [MV] 2 ½ ton and 5 ton AirPacs and prices

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 19:46:10 PST

Well folks, I've got to get in on this, as in my opinion there are a lot of
people out who don't know what they are talking about. I have bought a LOT
of parts from RAPCO, and know Mark fairly well....he is not a rich man.
I have spent more money with Memphis Equipment than I like to think about,
including 2 trucks and a PILE of parts. I am blessed by being only a 30
minute ride from them, which gives me a more realistic view than some folks
who only know of them as a voice on the phone.
None of the guys at Memphis are rich. Some of their parts are "high"
compared to other places, but then again my neighborhood hardware store is
"high" compared to Walmart. I don't think either the hardware store or
Memphis Equipment are robbing me. I think both are providing a service,
making a reasonable return on investment, a paying their employees.
Memphis Equipment in the Memphis HQ, has 2 equipment salesmen, a GM, 6 parts
men, 2 guys shipping parts, 4 secretaries, and about 30 men in the shop, and
another half dozen or so working out on the yard. I wouldn't want to try to
make their payroll. The company occupies the biggest part of a city block in
downtown Memphis...I wouldn't want to pay the property tax. The shop
building will easily accommodate 20 or so 6x6's. There are 4 huge parts
warehouses, many thousands of square feet. At least 3 of these buildings
built in the last 20 years, by Memphis Equipment. Oh yes, there are about 500
trucks sitting around. All of them bought and paid for. Most of them
personally looked over before they were bought (I couldn't pay for the
airfare alone for those trips). All of them having had the freight home paid.
A prime example of there overcharging occurred recently when I went needing
an obscure water line for my M135. As I mentioned this was an obscure item,
so we wound up with the VP over the parts department, the parts manager, as
well as the other 4 guys in parts looking for this. After this group had
given up, the shop foreman as well as the mechanic in charge of the engine
department were brought in, whereupon all of us go out on there back lot,
along with the foreman over the yard crew, and take one off a truck.
It is then glass beaded, and primed (while I wait) and sold to me. The whole
process from the time I got there to when I left was an hour or so, 8
man-hours on Memphis Equipment's part. The price? Ten bucks. Was I
overcharged? Hardly. Did they get rich on this deal? Not likely. Am I
gonna complain and shop elsewhere when someone else has a starter for 50
dollars less than Memphis when I need one? Not on your life.
I (or anyone else) can call there and get, at no charge, technical advice on
HMV problems. I have done this many, many times.
I can't blame a fellow for looking for a bargain, but....
Think Memphis Equipment is too high? Buy your parts and get your advice at
Auto-Zone.
Think Memphis Equipment is too high? Maybe you are being overpaid at your
job too.
Frankly, I wish these guys were getting rich, 'cause from what I see they are
working hard for their money and earning it.

My .02,
David Doyle