Army Registration Numbers

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 13:52:42 PST

Hi List,
I was sanding on my 2-1/2 ton M35A2 the other day and uncovered the
registration numbers on the side of the hood. It is 04K 15670. The letters
are about 2" high and are black paint on a desert tan background. Is this a
legitimate format for a registration number? I don't recall ever seeing one
that started with a zero. My form 97 states the truck was made in 1960 (by
REO) and somewhere along the line was upgraded to A2 (non-turbo, vertical
exhaust, air shift front axle, etc.).
What's the scoop on registration numbers? Do they stay with the vehicle for
it's life, or are they reassigned after a major rebuild? Is there a date
code in there somewhere?
Any facts or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

P.S.
If anyone is compiling a registry of these vehicles they might be interested
to know the following:
Mfg- REO Motors
s/n 0525-14431
Contract No. DA-20-089
Surplused from Moffett Field Special Forces Group (south of San Francisco,
CA) on 10-93
Formerly with A BTRY 2/5 ADA 2AD, FT. HOOD, TX (veh # A52)until approx. 3-91
This past history was extracted from papers and a floppy disk stuffed under
the seat.