Re: [MV] New Blazer problem

From: TacticalTruck@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 15:13:15 PST

In a message dated 12/2/00 4:26:23 PM, Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk writes:

>The Bendix gear is on the starter shaft itself and they rarely give much
>trouble, what does wear is the ring gear that is shrunk onto the flywheel.
>The engine will naturally stop in probably only a few positions, especially
>a diesel with huge compressions, and these teeth of the relatively soft
>ring gear will get hammered.

Richard's diagnosis is right, I've had it happen to me a couple times and Joe
just had it happen to him. To check and make sure, the next time it makes
that sound, turn the engine over by hand to get the starter past the bad spot
and it should start normally. I believe the ring gear is welded to the fly
wheel which is fairly light because the CUCV has an automatic transmission. I
think they're only sold as an assembly. Also I was able to change mine
without completely removing the transmission/transfer. I was able to unbolt
everything and slide the whole mess back enough to replace the fly wheel.
Jeff
TacticalTruck.com