Re: [MV] numbers on vehicle's

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 16:18:15 PST

> These are generic reg. numbers as found on the data plate, if you want to
> know where it was from, take down the bumper numbers and if you really
want
> to get more history, strip the paint down to the next previous bumper
number
> and so forth.
>
> Andy

I think the list just went through all this, but on the CUCV's and Hummers
we have, numbers like "NGO8G8" (an M-886) and "NFODRS" (my 1009) are Army or
Army Guard in origin, anything like "13K 1279" seems to be Air Force, and
"97 - 13021" tends to be Navy. I'm sure there are countless variations and
contradictions, but that's what I remember off the top of my head with the
movie co.'s vehicles. Marine Corps ones used to be something like USMC
12379, but all of our Humvees have the old reg. no's painted over with
CARC, and new ones like "M120436" (or similar) stencilled on in place. Go
fig.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.

(and some ORARNG units went totally overboard stencilling veh.id numbers on
every conceivable vertical surface. My 1009 has the NFODRS under the
ood - twice - and even on the backside of the fuel-filler door...facing the
damn cap! It's also the only reg. no. I've seen with no numbers. All
letters.)