Re: [MV] 5 ton gas motor

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 05:37:30 PST

What you saw was the Continental R6602. Inline, 6 cylinder 602 cubic inches.
 Unlike the later Multifuel, the 6602 was a commercial engine that was used
by International Harvester and Diamond T in the production of the G-744
series five tons. A common civilian application of the 6602 was fire trucks.
As for the little-bitty carb...I couldn't afford for it to be any bigger!
The 6602 in my 34000 lb M62 wrecker gets a little more than 2 miles per
gallon.
BTW....All the 6602s I've seen, including one with a NOS carb, run rich, at
idle sounds like the carb loads up, but ALL the old heads say if you "fix"
the mixture problem, the truck won't run down the road.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle