Re: [MV] USS CABOT---it MAY BE (?) too late!

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@svjava.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 21:13:56 PST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:07:15PM -0600, Jim Rice wrote:
> The Iron Woman/USS Cabot Association website states the following:
>
> "The salvage company who owns her has graciously postponed her scrapping for
> the last few months but is reaching the limit of their ability to do so. We
> must help them by securing an option to purchase the ship while we continue
> our development work."
>
> That sure makes me believe she is no longer the property of the US
> Navy/goverment.

Sounds that way from the above statement.

> I am all for saving her. We just need to ensure our efforts are directed at
> the right cause. Government intercession is too late now.

My understanding of the ship sales (aka scrapping) program is that the ship is
sold only for the purpose of scrapping. Any other attempted use will usually
lead to the gov't canceling the sale and taking the ship back. I also think
that the gov't is allowed to take the ship back at anytime, but must compensate
the scrapper for the work done at that point.

--
Eric Kozowski
Portland, OR