Re: [MV] jerry cans

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 06:44:40 PST

At 07.39 08/01/01 -0500, DREW wrote:

>> >They have embossed on the side at the bottom "U.S.M.C." Is
>> >this for sure the abbreviation for the semperfie crowd? Or am I miss
>> >reading it? AND as this type of can is not very common, how many were
>> >made and during what time period? Any expert out there? Oh and I have 3
>> >and all are "CONICO 20-5-42". Tks K
>>
>>Sorry! But they are not Semper Fidelis ones! The "U.S.M.C." acronym
>>meaning escapes me at the moment but it is a jerry can manufacturer! In a
>Actually they are USMC jerry cans, congratulations. Conico is your
>manufacturer not USMC. If they had the standard screw top then they would
>be USA cans with USMC as the manufacturer, but you described the small
>mouth flip top (identical to Brit and Jerry jerry cans) that's the mouth
>the USMC used for their cans.
>
>Drew Ballard
>'43 GPW

Jan 8 2001

Drew
I have checked the Simonides website and I have not found CONICO as a
manufacturer: can you, please, give some more info? What it stands for?
Thank you!
Also, Dirtman says that there is a "20-5-42" after CONICO. Is this a date
or what? It is "20 May 1942"?

Regards

Raimondo - MVPA 15878 & IMPS 2320