Re: [MV] jerry cans

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 13:10:52 PST

Was there any documentation provide to support the USMC Museum's supposition
or was this simply what they thought? I really doubt this claim, despite the
USMC Museum's opine. Just because a museum SAYS something is so, please
don't take it as gospel. Without documentation (contracts or spec sheets
for the cans from WWII) I just can't believe this. With some some
DOCUMENTATION, I would believe it as an anomoly. I really doubt though they
have any contract paperwork or Government specs on any cans, gas or water
that were built for them. Unfortunately, our military museums are as, if
not more, short staffed and overworked as anyone related to the Department
of Defense these days.

I know I am treading on dangerous ground here by applying logic, but tell me
why would only one company, building the cans to GOVT specs make their
openings/mouths differently and mark them differently than any other
manufacturer building to the same specs? Clearly, some other specs were
around and these cans were built to them, but for who?

Seriously, why would one can have have USMC embossed when both water cans
and gas cans by all others had US, USA or QMC embossed. Even a Marine could
see it was a metal can. Does US mean UNKNOWN SUBSTANCE or QMC mean
Quantitative Metal Can. I mean, it does hold a specified amount of liquid.
The logic that it means United States Metal Can when all others had US for
UNITED STATES or QUARTERMASTER CORPS doesn't hold much water (pun intended
even though we are discussing gas cans). I suppose some cans today should
have USPC embossed for United States Plastic Can.

I know I got some ridiculour answers to questions I asked at the Ft Sill
musuem. Heck, some of their displays were obviously wrong. They just
didn't have the manpower, funds or time to do the research and correct the
errors.

If you can provide some OFFICIAL specs, I'd be happy to believe you.

My 2 cents.....which won't change without some documentation.

Jim