Re: [MV] CCKW-353 has arrived home!..MVs in movies questions.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 19:06:52 PST

> In a message dated 1/12/01 5:12:21 AM, tonygull@ozemail.com.au writes:
>
> >can anyone tell me what MV features in "First Blood" with Stallone
> >crashing a cop car..
>
> The best possible HMV to destroy- M135 Ha!

Heh. First Blood.

That movie was filmed in British Columbia, and was one of the first films
the company I work for did for the industry (though before my time.)

The trucks themselves were M-135CDN's, and were still in the service of Her
Majesty's Canadian Forces when borrowed from local militia units in exchange
for a generous cash donation by the film company.

I do know that the M-135 that did the gas-station deal looked pretty nuked
when all the pieces landed, but it evidently was salvaged and went on to a
new life somewhere in the 'states, if memory serves. The others went back
to their respective units, and one of our fellow list members happened
across one of them in a farmers field some years afterwards, and was
surprised to find a U.S. white star when he sanded down a bumperette.

There's another scene to watch out for in that movie. When Stallone had to
do his jump onto the top of the one deuce-and-a-half as it drove by,
evidently the stuntman who first tried it didn't realize the canvas was not
used to supporting a jet-propelled human being, and predictably, he went
right through. The solution after that was to stuff a mattress between the
canvas tarp and the top bows (presumably supported from beneath as well) so
he could land a bit less spectacularly. If you run the film, you can quite
clearly see the outline of somebody's Sealy Posturpedic where there should
be nothing but oaken skeleton.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.