Re: [MV] CCKW-353 has arrived home!..MVs in movies questions.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 22:34:43 PST

> The one thought I had when I saw that scene, well other than how does a
> vehicle get launched when it's supposed to be running into something, but
> then this is Hollywood, is that when it landed it looked like the
suspension
> was a bit stiff. Would a normal 2-1/2 ton land like that? and if it would
> land like that, would the axles and such survive? Inquiring minds want to
know.

I've heard the story from a few people who were there, and from what I
understand, what you saw is what there was: i.e., the vehicle jumped and
landed as depicted, and evidently survived to fight another day. Wish I
could recall who ended up with it. Maybe I'll get time to do some digging.

One of the trucks used in the film somewhere is currently for sale up here
(Dan, are you out there??), and believe it or not, there was a scene in
which ol' Sly Stallone drove an M-38 (later cut) around, and we still have
that one dolled up in the same markings sitting in the warehouse. Last gig
for that thing was, I think, a WWII flashback episode of "Millennium" (I got
to be a WWII MP in that one - pretty cool, though I've never seen it
personally, despite the fact everyone in my unit evidently did!), and not an
awful lot since.

While we're on the subject of movie stuff, when Cannell was filming up here
back in the early 1980's, there was a series around called "21 Jump Street"
that some of us might remember. Well, it was early days for military
vehicles up here, so a large number of our Western Command MVPA chapter
members were called to set with their vehicles for the episode "Christmas in
Saigon", and it's pretty fun at this late date to watch the thing and pick
out so-and-so playing a cook or standing guard over an M151A2 etc. Heh.
Great thing is, all the folks recognizable in that particular episode are
still active members in our Vancouver chapter, which is probably one we have
up on most vintage car clubs.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.