Re: [MV] M-38 Numbers, what do they mean

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 17:20:50 PST

MC35670 = M38 (called model MC in Willys factory, following model MB, the
WWII version), the 35,760th one made. MC35670 IS indeed your VIN number.

20902890 is the "USA registration number" for this particular jeep. many
collectors mistakenly call it the "hood number" but the registration number
is not on the hood e.g. on the M100 trailer which has no hood!

Look at photos of original M38 jeeps in US service to get an idea of
markings and where they are. Join a club. Have a look at http://www.mvpa.org

DEL DATE 9-51 means delivery date September 1951.

Look CAREFULLY for white painted numbers and letters on the front bumper and
rear bumperettes. These tell you which formation and unit would have had
this jeep.

I used to own a 1952 M38CDN made by Ford Motor Company of Canada.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)