Re: [MV] M211 transmission question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 12:59:27 PST

In a message dated 2/4/01 11:10:37 AM Central Standard Time,
Hummer1234@aol.com writes:

<< Someone I know has had many of these trucks go through his hands from a
DRMO
 auction and the subsequent owners have experienced a 100% failure rate of
the
 transmissions. >>

According to the information I have, DRMO disposed of the M211 trucks in the
1970's (if I am wrong someone please let me know, I'd very much like to ad
information to the article on these I'm writing). I am not surprised that
over a 25 to 30 year period of time there would be a failure rate of near
100% of trucks in everyday civilian usage. The pick up I drive everyday is
only 18 years old, has lead a fairly sheltered life, yet it has had to have a
transmission overhaul too.

To keep it running I suggest that the user get the operators manual and read
and follow it.

Despite its size, this is a 2 1/2 ton off-road, 5 ton on road truck. The
truck LOOKS like it could haul more, and the frame and springs will probably
support more, but the drive-line is that of a 2 1/2 ton truck.

The transmission was built for non-detergent crankcase oil, not ATF fluid.
The weight of this oil varies with the climate, as specified in the MANUAL.
The data plate on dash is a little misleading here. What I have read/heard
from other (non-GM, non-military) sources indicates that ATF will work OK, so
long as the transmission is COMPLETELY drained of motor oil first. DO NOT
mix ATF and engine oil.

Service the transmission as specified in the manual (something most folks
don't do, even in the cars they drive everyday).

Drive the truck as the manual states, each gear and range has a function, and
I suspect the GM engineers that designed this knew more about transmission
and vehicle design than "Bubba, the log truck driver" does.

Avoid the use of high range, reverse, when loaded.

my .02,
David Doyle