Re: [MV] M35 differential questions

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 18:43:37 PST

> I was wondering if the M35 family of trucks have a positive traction
>device in the rear differentials. I always assumed that they had "No-Spin"
>or equivalent lockers. Is this true, or are they open differentials???

Common open diffs. Seems to me I heard that you can get Detroit Lockers for
them, at great expense of course.

> I assume that since the front differential can be air activated on the
>retrofitted trucks, it is also positive locking???

The diff is not posative locking, the drive shaft to the front axle is
shifted in and and out just like any old transfer case, and yes, that part
is posative locking but not the diff, it's open.

> It seems that lockers in all axles would be the way to go for a 6x6 that
>needed to go almost anywhere (and from what I've read on this list and many
>web sites, they will go anywhere, given enough time).

Never put a detroit locker in a front axle unless you can disengage the
drive to it, i.e. you'd want an air shift transfer case, else you will not
be able to turn on any hard surface, been there! I put Detroits in both
axles of my M715, along with 4.10 gears. After going thru all that work,
I'm not really all the pleased. They are a bit squirly on the road and off
road you need to be gentle or you'll break things, just remember, with a
Detroit Locker in both/all axles, you can deliver full engine torque to just
one wheel.

Thanks but I'll be leaving my M35 stock.

je