Re: [MV] mbt

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 09:31:57 PST

Timothy Smith schrieb:

> Andreas,
> I want to ask a serious question of you about this kind of thing because I
> don't really know the answer. While everyone here the US is busily
> importing our old war machines from Belgium and Europe in general, and from
> events like Beltring I see photos of every vehicle imaginable, why would our
> European brothers be concerned about the few odds and ends we have laying
> about here in the US?
> TJ

Dear Tmothy,

I'm not sure if I understood your question correct. Please note that my
last
English language lesson at school is around 30 years ago. I always say:
"I'm
German, please speak slowly and use simple words!".

Now the MV related content:
We have very different laws for guns and MVs here in Europe, especially
in
Germany. Posession of a gun, even a deactivatd one, can be the fastest
way to
prison (jail). A trade market with stalls like at Beltring is absolutely
unthinkable in Germany.

Historic MVs were legal, if they are not armed and not armoured. Two
years ago a
crazy "artist" (yes, he calls himself an artist) made a lot of trouble
with a
little Hotchkiss cargo APC. He provocated the authorities and since that
time we
have a paragraph added to our road registration laws that the
registration of
"vehicles specially built for military and fire birgade purposes" is no
longer
possible for civilians.

Collecting MVs is not political correct in Germany.

What a piece of luck, that the Kettenkrad is designed as a peacefull
farm
tractor and not as a military vehicle...

Since some month EBAY blocks many military and WW2 related auctions to
buyers from Germany. I think they have some keywords and if these
keywords are in the description of the article for sale, they block it
to buyers from Germany (and France and Italy!) or they delete the
complete auction. EBAY tries to be 150 per cent politically correct.

Best regards
Andreas

Kettenkrad homepage
http://www.kettenkrad.de