CCKW...70 Octane recipe..etc

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 13:07:06 PST

Greetings,
                As i mentioned previously, Ross Carswell from
the Deuce register visited me recently. He was kind enough to leave
me some literature, as he is regretably sold his CCKW.

Amongst this was TM9-801, which is A5 sized manual 450+pages,
some listers had it for sale...very informative.

Also, a recipe for 70 Octane fuel;

        8 parts leaded(92 octane super) + 2 parts blue Kerosine

or 8 parts ULP + 2 parts blue kero + 1 bottle Wynns "Valve Guard".

This recipe comes from an oil company chemist and is applicable to
low compression vintage engines.

Any comments?? What is the consequence of using straight high octane
fuel??....over here in Oz i can still get leaded fuel.
Should i dilute the fuel as above....in the past i have diluted fuel
with such things as metho,two-stroke oil or auto tranny fluid
for various purposes.

He had lots of stuff, including a very good article on GMC Trucks,
that answered some of my questions re the origins of GMC.
The article was an excerpt from a book titled "The History of GM"

Apparently GM bought up many other auto makers in 1911,
including Reliance and Rapid and consolidated
them as GM Truck Co. Pontiac, Michigan. The first 'GMC' was in 1911.
(no mention of "Grabowski Motor corp")

In 1925 GM bought a controlling interest in 'Yellow Cab...."
They consolidated there expanding Bus and Truck manafacturing,
(except Chevy), under this company structure, until after the war.

While we are on books, I would like to purchase :

                "GMC, The Universal Truck"

published by Warne in 1980, authors 2 dudes with french names

I think the whole book may be in French, not in print.

CAN anyone help?

Some tech data he had stated max engine torque as 220ft/lbs @ 1400rpm.

The Diamond T at the wreckers...$1000...i reckon $600 would get it.
remember it has no tyres and is very sad rust wise....
what do people think about that?

Ross Prince did not seem to think it was terribly worthwhile.
Can parts still be had...ie engine gasket kit?

                                more soon Tony