Re: [MV] Towing lifted M246

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 07:31:38 PST

DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:
> lift height [...] boom length [...] hypotenuse of a right triangle
> [...] pivot point [...] 21 feet extended [...] block, etc. [...] eat
> up [...] two feet [...] usable lift [...] around 19 feet. [...]
> collapse the body

I went through th same calculations and considerations a while ago,
using specs from my TMs, ruler measurements from the drawings in my
TACOM catalog, and some wild guesses, and came up with about the same
numbers that you did. I guesstimated that a medium wrecker could put a
hook over the top of my van box, but that the sling would have to be
pretty flat, and might crush the top of the body unless I had some
sort of spreaders or lifting beams. I don't have enough experience
lifting or making things to trust myself to make that sort of stuff,
and the Real Thing is not cheap!

> All this being said, we also need to look at the weight of the body Vs
> maximum lifting load at full boom extension...this is a real concern.
> Bottom line, maybe, but I bet it is marginal.

Let's see, I took a picture of the load plate on a wrecker I examined
at Vandenberg a few months ago. It said that at maximum radius, the
crane can lift 4,000 pounds with outriggers, or 3,000 pounds without
them. Does anybody know the actual weight of an empty shop van body
with a few hundred thick coats of CARC paint? I guesstimated around
2,000 pounds based on the 8,000 pound on-road load limit of the
M109A3, vs. the 10,000 pound limit for the M35A2. Oops, that would
have to be about 2,000 pounds heavier than an M35A2 cargo body. Yeah,
that's close to the limit, but can anybody confirm whether it's over
the limit?

I haven't seen the load plate on an M246, but I wouldn't be surprised
if its longer boom had the same ratings vs. radius, and thus had an
even lower limit at the radius that I'd need to get maximum hook
height. Man, if a medium wrecker could lift off my van box, then I'd
have an actual *practical* *reason* to buy one! :-)

> Hope this helps,

Yes, it did. Thanks!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/