Re: [MV] NEW FROM CHRYSLER-BENZ

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 17:03:19 PST

I really didn't want to weigh in on this, but I can't help it.

The Unimog has been made for what... 50 years or so? It has always been a
utilitarian/commercial/military vehicle. I believe Benz stopped selling it
in the US for a few years because of emissions issues.

Benz has decided they can meet the emissions standards and still make a
buck, but they are not marketing to soccer moms. It is still an $80k,
TRUCK distributed through Frieghtliner.

The media jumped on it when they heard how big it was and used it as a
headline. "You Thought the Ford Excursion Was Big? Look Out For the
Unimog." The poor folks at Benz never saw it coming and are scrambling
with damage control.

No yuppy is going to buy it. Won't fit in the garage. Won't go much more
than 55 mph. Doesn't have the recognition of a Hummer. Doesn't have the
style of the current big SUV group.

Don't fall for the media's flavor of the month. (week)

End of rant.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA