Re: [MV] CUCV Seatbelt and stuff

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 18:48:33 PST

> Anyone know where I can get a cheap seatbelt buckle standup thing. ( I
know
> that is a rather technical term) The standing part in the middle on the
> driver's side is crushed and just sorta lays on the floor. Really
annoying.

Wrecker, as suggested, but stay away from some of the 70's bucket-seat
vehicles because I've found some of them use the narrower sort of seat-belt
female normally found on the 76-77 pickup trucks. They're not
interchangeable, and I found out the hard way.

> Second is for the radio experts out there: Is a military antenna that
would
> fit a CUCV antenna mount that operates well in the Low band (42-48
> Megahertz) range. I am converting a CUCV to a backup patrol vehicle, but
> would like to keep it some what original.

Yes. MX-6707 matching unit/base as part of the AS-1729 antenna system will
go from 30.00 to 75.95 Mhz via a knob on the unit itself which allows you to
select the appropriate range in the absence of the motor drive voltage
normally sent by VRC-12 family radios. When you're shopping for them,
examine the contact on top of the matching unit itself for abnormal wear,
and make sure the selector knob rotates freely. If there's any noticeable
stiffness or visible corrosion - move along to the next, as the inside will
be far worse. Also have a look inside the bottom of the mast whoever might
be trying to sell you, as I've seen several of them with the internal
contact buggered or missing altogether, which would make for poor comms at
least, if not for a baked final in your transceiver. Your techs might want
to know that the matching unit assumes your radio will 'take' up to a VSWR
of 4 - which probably won't mean much to you - but might to whatever radio
shop services your gear. Really, I've only found VSWR readings anywhere
near there at either extreme of the matching unit's range, where typical
values seem to hover around 1.5-2.0 (most commercial stuff shouldn't fear
2.0 - 3.0, and many have overload circuits anyway. I'd use it in a minute
if it were me.)

> Third is there anyway to track an old air force vehicle number. Got the
> CUCV through the law enforcement program and sorta wonder where it came
> from. I sorta think it was overseas. The number 85K 1022.

It's an Air Force number. Army likes things like "NFODRS"; Navy likes
"97-12306", and the Air Force is fond of numbers very much like yours. We
have one in the fleet - also Air Force - with a USAREUR sticker dictating
speeds to be observed on the Autobahn! This one seems to have spent its
life plain 383 Green, and has no evidence of camo paint anywhere. Tracking
them? Doubt it. Most of the ones surplused here at Ft. Lewis come with
their logbooks, so I imagine the Military pitches everything out along with
them.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.