RE: [MV] trailer laws -military low boy question

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 05:38:44 PST

Howard,

I don't know about the emission laws as they relate to CUCV's, but I do know
that the military is just like everyone else, when it comes to over-width
permits. I recently hauled a M-59 APC from New York to Minnesota (10' 6"
wide) and we had to have over width permits. I was driving an M-916 tractor
pulling a lowboy trailer. We not only had to pull permits for all of the
states that we passed through, we also had to stop and pay all tolls and
follow the specific routes that the permits required. The military isn't
exempt from any of this.

I have seen the military exempted from load restrictions in only one
situation. The Minnesota National Guard was called out in 1997 to help with
severe flooding, throughout the state. Even though it was Spring, and the
load restrictions were on, anyone working to combat the flood was exempted
from load restrictions. I saw semi's hauling far more weight (as much as
double the weight) than they would normally have been allowed to haul at
this time of the year. This applied to military and civilian drivers and
vehicles.

John