Got my M35!

From: Mark Ehle (MEhle@catc.k12.mi.us)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 05:50:41 PST

Hello, Folks -

After many years of reading this list and drooling over your escapades, I finally found an M35 that was cheap and close. It is a '70 AM General, non-turbo, not too bad shape for the money. The gentleman that I bought it from seemed not to want to sell it, but I have a feeling that the fact that he has a wife and 8 other deuces might have had something to do with it!

I want to thank all of you for the information that I have gleaned from this list. I will have many questions in the coming months, I am sure.

I am wondering about the first drive home. I live in mid-Michigan, and this weekend I plan on driving it the 2+ hours or so home in possible 35-40 degree weather. It has a heater, but I am wondering will I freeze from the breeze (It has a canvas top) or will the heater be sufficient to keep me warm.

Other questions concern the front end. It is a non-air shift (sprag?).
Are the front wheels driving all the time? Is it expensive to convert to Air-shift?
Would I gain enough in drivability to justify it?
Does it cause any trouble (other than the inconvenience) to yank the front drive shaft for the majority of the time I will not need 6-wheel drive?

Thanks for your help!

Mark Ehle

Dowling, MI