Re: [MV] M-274 magnesium

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 14:27:28 PST

Hello again list
Yes I am familiar with magnesium from my aircraft experience i.e. A&P, FE
TURBOJET. I cannot help it though when I wonder how this stuff is welded
together. I am also aware of the fire hazards indicative of magnesium. most
transport category aircraft still have magnesium wheels and they do get hot.
I just heard from a friend of mine that works in a aircraft tire shop that
they take the paint off with a good quality "aircraft paint stripper" and
they avoid any "blasting" whether media or walnut husks.
I cannot find out what gas is used in mig welding nor can I find magnesium
wire for the mig.

Any way, if I fill the holes with a machineable metal type filler I would
assume that I could have "dissimilar metal corrosion" where the repair was
made. I hate to use bondo....... Yes I know I am asking a lot, but the "I
did it myself" or "I can do anything I put my mind to" attitude is deeply
ingrained in my ego.

Famous last words
Emmett