Just purchased M1009

From: John Fuller (hotrod@mvp.net)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 17:08:12 PST

Hello I am new to the list and new to military vehicle. I currently own a 1984 6.2 civilian blazer and I just been awarded the high bid of a M1009 with 44,000 no rust and it came from the Little Rock, AK base 4 years ago to a wildlife refuge
In TN. I with to look at the M1009 last week at the refuge. When I got there the refuge manager started the unit and asked if I would like to take a drive. Away we went into the refuge, all was well for around a mile or so and then the unit started slowing down and eventually stopped and died. I let the unit sit for a few minutes and then it restarted but would only run around 1 or 2 minutes. The refuge manager said that they had not drove the unit but very little in the past 3 years and no telling how old the fuel was in the tank. What does everyone think the problem is or could be? Also are there any changes that I will need to make to put the unit on the streets? Does the M1009 have 24-volt headlights and tail lights. I have a lot of questions and hope that everyone can help. I hope that I did not pay to much.

All help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John Fuller