Re: [MV] paint question

From: Allen Jones (jonesal@u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 08:03:07 PST

I think the key to keeping enamel paints from fading (and more durable), is
to bake the parts after painting (with adherence to the manufacturer's spec
sheets). I've done several restorations and baking the parts at 140F (on
up) for an hour or two helps tremendously (I called Gillespie to talk to
their technical folks on this subject and they were not very helpful or
knowledgeable). Then again, I realize that most folks do not have access to
a paint booth for this purpose. Given the original coatings that I've seen
(high durability and general resistance to fading), I'd be willing to bet
they were all baked. Just a thought for the next project.

Also, even though your supplier may not mention it, it also helps to add
enamel hardener during application. This is only a minor plus for UV
resistance, but a big plus for durability and future spot repairs (to
prevent wrinkling).

Allen in Seattle
'55 M38A1