Re: [MV] paint question

From: Allen Jones (jonesal@u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 08:56:09 PST

Not true. It depends on the brand and type of hardener you use. I
experimented with several hardeners before settling with the standard Dupont
enamel hardener (8:1 ratio). It adds less than 15% opacity as compared to
an unhardened Gillespie WWII color (using an HVLP gun, synthetic enamel
reducer, etc, etc.). Furthermore, future spot repairs on unhardened
Gillespie will wrinkle making for more headaches down the road. Yes, if you
want to exact flatness, add a slight amount of flattener to get the opacity
you desire.

There are industrial paints booths for repair of large trucks out there, if
you're doing a "quickie" and want to apply heat. However, for a frame off
restoration, the parts could easily be baked in a standard automotive paint
booth prior to assembly.

Allen in Seattle