Re: [MV] trailer laws - now MV Movers discussion

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 07:09:10 PST

DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net> wrote:
> That is exactly the kind of things I believe I will run into with
> the license examiner. I think I will go talk to them anyway and see
> what they say. The way they handle this from state to state is
> really erractic at best. No doubt, my M51 won't pass inspection -
> certainly the lights are not up to snuff, let alone the brakes.

If you are considering taking your M51 to a CDL test, I suggest that
you check to see if your state has some sort of "Commercial Driver's
Handbook". It might even be available on-line. The CA one describes
the drive test in a fair amount of detail, including the vehicle
inspection that the examiner will perform prior to letting you take
the test. The comment that your truck will not pass the inspection
based on its brakes may be true; the truck has enough air-brake-like
stuff that the examiner may consider it to have air brakes for
licensing requirements, yet it doesn't have a true air brake system,
and thus wouldn't pass the air brake check that they'll probably
require you to perform (with ZERO ERRORS in CA...) as part of the
driving test.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/