[MV] Help, Problems With Fuel Pump on 45 Jeep

From: Brown, Herb (BRown@ida.org)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 07:10:14 PDT

Trying to start my 45 Jeep for the first time -- almost 6 years since I
started working on it. I have been working through a few problems, like
starter wouldn't turn over and no spark. These problems have been resolved
none-by-one, but I am now left with a fuel pump that won't pump.

History: Near as I can tell, my jeep hadn't been started for approximately
5 to 10 years before I got it and then for the 6 years I have had it.
Therefore, I assumed the pump was bad and got a replacement pump at last
year's MV rally at Aberdeen, MD. This is the one without the primer hand
pump.

Symptoms: I do not get any suction on the input nor pressure on the output
side when I crank the engine. Tried with both the old and new pumps.
However, when I remove the pumps (both) and push the pump lever up and down,
I can feel suction and pressure on the respective I/O ports. It feels like
the pump lever is preloaded in the up position against the cam when I
install the pump on the engine.

Questions: Have any of you experienced this problem? Is it possible that I
have the wrong pump? (Note, both the old one and the new one look identical,
and there was enough crud on the old one to imply that it had worked at some
time.) Should there be a spacer between the block and the pump (in addition
the thin gasket) to permit more travel on the pump lever? My next steps
include taking the old pump apart to see if I can see anything wrong. Any
advice as to what to look for?

Please help! This was the second time that the whole family got out to
watch my failed attempt. Each time we have had to put the "bottle of
bubbly" back in the refrigerator - I guy could get very thirsty if this
continues!

Thanks, Herb

Herbert R. Brown
Institute for Defense Analyses TEL: 703-845-6663
1801 N. Beauregard St. FAX: 703-845-6788
Alexandria, AV 22311-1772 e-mail:
hbrown@ida.org