Chinese Junk

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 18:45:05 PDT

>..., some of the tools they sell are downright
>dangerous. I think this is because of greedy purchasing agents in
>America, and a lack of technical understanding on the part of some of
>the people doing the reverse engineering on the American tools shipped
>to China to be copied. A couple of examples I've seen include cast iron
>substituted for steel plate on a hydraulic press, and the change from
>air-over-oil to just plain air on a service station jack......

I'm glad that some people are waking up to all the Chinese junk that is
flooding the market. I got a deal on some drills, perhaps 10 years ago, big
ones like 1-1/2" thru 2-1/2" diameter. Just as soon as you got the point in
full cut the cutting edge would chip out and then the chipping would
accelerate to the point where it would not cut at all and a 7hp machine
just sits there making steam anda/or smoke. We would sharpen them and try
again, and again. Every time the cutting edge chipped out. They all did
this, we literally thru them in the scrap barrel. Being that anyone can
make steel hard, my guess is that they cheated on the expensive alloying
elements like chromium, vanadium, etc. In other words what they were passing
off as M2 tool steel was perhaps nothing more than garden variety high
carbon steel. So lets check some logic here. A USA made Chicago, PTD, or
Clevaland drill (or other name brands) will drill perhaps 20 to 50 times
it's diameter before sharpening and it can be sharpened right up the point
were there is no flute left, and this cheaper Chinese drill can't even drill
one diameter deep but it costs 1/10 the price, hmmmmm, I think I'll take
the expensive one thankyou.

Anyway, ever since I go out of my way to not buy Chinese stuff.

But then, your milage may vary.

je