Re: et al.

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 23:56:43 PDT

Robert

> I'll just bet you non-United States citizens, who contribute so much
> knowledge, expertise and humor to the list really LOVE it when US citizens
> go on and on about whatever the U.S. centered conflict du jour is.

Yup, but it comes with the territory of subscribing to a US based list.
I also watch Deutche Wella
(German news service in English)
(I know, Andreas, I have garbled the spelling)
whenever I can as they give European and English news reports which
helps to balance all the US stuff we get on our telly and on this list.

> I thought it was funny, and somewhat representative, when there was a thread
> involving a refernce to a certain highly placed politico in the Aussie
> gov't. (I admit it... I don't remember the name).

Our Prime Minister.

> A casual reference in the
> thread raised a number of question marks for my fellow Americans, including
> myself.

Nice to see you read that email.

My comment was about our status as an ally, yet we don't get free trade
status, unlike a certain other country who is not an ally of America.
(There is an old joke about how it is more beneficial to be on
America's list of enemies.)

> On the other hand, many of you "foreigners" are quite well versed on who's
> who and what's what in our countries political and diplomatic activities.

Quite why we have to live your Presidential race with you I don't know,
but it gets huge airtime over here. I have yet to figure out why there
is this fascination with screening "American College Basketball" on
Aussie TV? Perhaps our broadcasters buy it for $1 per game?
So for reasons that remain a mystery, yes, we are surprisingly well
versed in affairs American, adds interest to life I suppose.
Of late, I think all Aussies have become experts on the African Lion,
it seems every time I turn the telly on there is yet another nature
show on that subject, so it isn't just your politics after all.......

But, as 2 of my 3 vehicles are of US origin and I have been
subscribed to this list for at least 5 years now, then you haven't
managed to bore me with your politics enough yet for me to unsubscribe.
I have enjoyed the contacts and the help I have received through
membership of this list and that makes it very worthwhile, if the going
gets heavy, there is always the delete key.

Next general knowledge question - you have Democrats and Republicans,
the English have Tory and Labor what are our equivalents? :-)

Compulsory MV content = please visit my AFV webpage, lots of new stuff.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au