Re: [MV] 6TL Question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 06:55:57 PDT

> The cold crank rating is less than the average commercial heavy
>duty battery. ( I would like to meet the guy who signed off on this as a
>good idea )

This is not all that it might seem. The whole concept of a CCA rating is
not that well defined. And there is another aspect that you may not be
seeing. When I buy batteries I buy the lowest CCA rating in the largest size
case I can handle. Sounds like twisted logic? Not really. One of the ways
that they get the rating up is to take up more and more space in the cell
with plates, including going down. If you do not have enough dead space in
the bottom of the cell for crud to accumulate, it will start to touch the
plates and short them out. I've noticed, and others I know, that these high
CCA batteries don't seem to have any life, especially when used in an
application with lots of shock and vibration. I get much better battery
life going the other way. I've not heard anything definative from an
"expert" but a number of people have all come to the same conclusion over
many years, there must be some truth to it.

je