Re: [MV] 6TL Question

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 07:20:25 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Orpe" <sgtorpe@sierratel.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6TL Question

> Generally speaking, the only thing special about these batteries is the
> dimensions. The cold crank rating is less than the average commercial
heavy
> duty battery. ( I would like to meet the guy who signed off on this as a
> good idea )
>
> Randy Orpe

I believe that the reason the CCA is less than commercial batteries is
because the batteries have thicker plates and spacers to reduce vibration
damage that would be expected to be encountered in war time conditions. The
way to boost CCA is to add plates. Can't put 10 lbs of flour in a 5 lb bag.
Most conflicts occur in non paved conditions, hence the cost of Military
equipment. Difficult to find a Sam's Club in Dukswanna or Bosnia to replace
your $35.00 Everlast 1000CCA 5 year warranted battery that craps 2 days
after installation. And no deal if the ammo your trucks hauling don't make
it to the platoon that could've held but didn't and cost you 28 million to
get there... But that's what we allow our elected officials to do to the
folks on the pointy end of the spear.
    No Abrahm's to Mogadishu, No fighter escort for Surveillance aircraft ,
No SR71's cause we can do it with satellites, No satellites cause we skimped
on the Shuttle Booster O rings. All because we want to play in the big game
and elect dickheads to Washington. Enema time, put the nozzle in the
capital.
    And that's why they had low CCA's, cause they were spec'd back in the
days when the boys writing the specs. had carried their rifles through the
mud and understood the importance of details.

Sorry, got on a roll there...Ron