Re: [MV] WWII Specific MV List

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 08:08:08 PDT

My intent is not to have anyone leave the current lists and I have not proposed that.  I am not mandating that any question is the exclusive domain of the WWII specific list.  In fact, a  question on a mechanical process or painting processes, etc should very well still be placed before the regular list.  What I have created/provided is a forum where we can discuss strictly WWII vehicles in detail.  Contract numbers, hood numbers, productions series, why Ford did something different than Willys, why a Studebaker US6 is more correct for the USMC than Army, etc without the moaning and groaning that has accompanied this type of discussion in the past.

When I first joined the original Mil-Veh list, many complained that there was nothing but WWII vehicle discussion.  As that evolved and M-series became more prevalent, there were complaints about "not everyone owns a WWII Vehicle" or "This has been discussed 20 times in the past."  While that is true, not everyone owns an M-series either.  Neither has exclusive claim to this list, however, it seems the predominence of M series has relegated WWII vehicles to the back burner here.  Many folks would like to be able to freely discuss strictly WWII vehicles as I mentioned above without having to defend themselves from the majority, which now seems to be M-series.

The new group also has many WWII reenactors who use their vehicles in reenactments and aren't interested in receiving 50 e-mails per day about something they have no interest in.  This list is an attempt to provide an information source for a smaller group that just doesn't have the time to read through the daily message traffic of the regular list.

I have nothing against M series vehicles and I have owned several, however, the hobby has changed.  M series owners appear to have become the majority.  I simply wish to provide a place where the focus is WWII.  On my list, we can discuss issues other than technical details or why 34087 is wrong for a WWII truck.  Mine is not necessarily a technical list, which the regular list for the most part is.

Time will tell whether I was wrong to start the new list.  If I am wrong and the WWII specific list does not pan out, I will gladly kill it.  In the meantime, everyone is welcome to join or stay away.  I am not asking anyone to leave any other list either.  There are many lists out there and we can't all belong to all of them.  I simply wanted to make list where the focus of WWII only would bring in those that don't belong to any Military Vehicle list.

Thanks to everyone for their input and courteous discussions to date.  I have been surprised there have been few really outright negative responses and NO FLAMES.  I appreciate that.  Most postings have been well thought out and clearly stated messages, where we just happen to disagree.

Sincerely,

Jim Rice