Educational uses for our toys

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 09:08:04 PDT

Hi all.. I recently posted this to the controversial "WWIIMV" list, so my
apologies to those flexible sould on both lists...

I have a 42 GPW and a few bits of equipment... BC1000 radio, 42 dated ruck,
Garand holster, rifle rack, tools (mostly complete). The vehicle is in as
original condition as I can afford and is restored to a "govt rebuild" level
as it has a smattering of Willys parts on it and a few later style under the
hood features. I also have the appropriate weapons to be placed in the rack
and holster.

Anyways, I plan on attending the Armed Forces Day parade in my area (NE
Ohio) and a few MV specific events as well as some of those weekend car
shows held in parking lots.

What I would really like to do is make the vehicle available to some schools
elementary or high school for educational purposes. Most kids (like myself)
just dont make a connection with history until they can see and touch it.

Have any of you guys done this? How do you approach the subject of guns with
the school administrators... I think they are an appropriate part of the
vehicle and add to the whole, but guns are a taboo word in schools these
days. What has been your experience with doing this kind of activity? Have
you been recieved well by the school administration? How have the kids
reacted?

Thanks,

Bob Kelly