Re: [MV] aircraft batteries

From: Michael Riley (MRiley@avt-hq.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 09:24:01 PDT

A couple of comments about your previous message.

> Am I correct to assume they are potassium hydroxide(I think)like regular NiCads?
I don't know anything about Potassium Hydroxide as a battery agent - but
that name is not synonymous with NiCad. Ni - Nickel, Cad - Cadmium.

Sorry, but I didn't understand your first question:
> Does anyone know what the solution is for NiCads used in aircraft
> batteries?
Do you mean "solution" as in repair for aircraft equipment that uses
NiCads ??
If so, there are a lot of answers - depending on who you ask.
A lot of ink has been spilt in discussions/arguments in many different
forums regarding NiCads. I won't bore you with the details, but in
my opinion:
If your equipment is old;
If the batteries have been ignored for a long time;
If they don't appear to work or take a charge;
Replace them.
(I am not a believer in the concept of 'recovering' a NiCad cell.)

The NiCads cells may be unmarked and installed with spot welded
conductors to connect the cells. You might be able to remove the
battery pack and get someone to 'manufacture' a
new pack for you. I often buy replacement battery packs, specially made
for the application from "House of Batteries" in Southern California. I
think the web address is: http://www.houseofbatteries.com

The usual disclaimer applies: I am not affiliated with them. Have used
them over the years and never had any problems.

I hope I've been able to help.
Write if you have more questions.

                Mike.

--
   Michael Riley
   Advanced Vehicle Technologies, Inc.

+1-410-798-4038 (voice) +1-410-798-4308 (fax)

support@avt-hq.com (e-mail) http://www.avt-hq.com (home page)