WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #28

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 16:21:47 PDT

Last night (Wednesday) was a bit of a nightmare.

It started off well enough, I picked up lots of parts from Western
Sandblast after work. Tailgate, bumper, running boards, window cover
panels (x6), floor panels, grill, etc. I had several spray cans of primer
so I went to work getting that first protective coat on. About 10pm I ran
out of spray cans with several big items to go.

Confession time.

1) I do not own an air compressor. I shot the jeeps I've done with rattle
cans. Both turned out fine. I was employed at a company with two large
compressors and back lot space available when I did my M37. So, urgent
need and spare money never occupied the same space and time as an air
compressor in my life.

2) I'm over budget on this little project. I knew going into it I was
going to have some collateral damage to the old credit card, but this is
kind-a like hitting the Chinese Embassy in Bosnia... Oups, guess my maps
weren't up to date.

3) I was had, taken, duped, hoodwinked, by the ACE Hardware Paint Guy. I
shared my lack of compressor/painting concern with him and he showed me the
miracle product that would solve all my problems for a modest $79.95, the
Wagner 1600 Pressure Painter! This airless paint gun could handle my
project. Just thin the paint appropriately and who needs an expensive
compressor, hoses, regulator, water trap, paint gun, etc. The sad thing
is, I had it on good authority, from multiple first hand witnesses, that
these things do not work for vehicle painting. Yet, I WANTED to
believe. I raised my weak protests, the Paint Guy easy allied my fears. I
left the store the proud owner of a Wagner Paint Spitter.

So, 10pm last night I opened a can of red oxide primer from Rapco, and my
Wagner miracle machine. It didn't work half bad... it went all the way to
really bad! I couldn't just give up on it because it was raining (Southern
California and it's RAINING), my newly blasted parts would rust if not
painted. Hours later (1 am) I finished. I'll have to sand down half of
what I did to take out runs and orange peel... **&$@##@

So, this morning at work I told my friend and fellow MVadite, Deryk Walker,
my tale of woe. After he finished laughing at me he told me what I already
knew I had to do, bite the bullet and find an air compressor. Easily said,
but I'm supposed to get the last of my parts back Friday (tomorrow). How
am I supposed to find a compressor by then? Let alone the hoses,
regulators, water trap, etc.

During lunch I checked the Classifieds and low and behold, a compressor for
sale locally that might do the job. I called and they were actually
home! Only about 15 minutes away I drove on over and had a look. An
older, well maintained, two stage, 50 gallon Lincoln compressor. Two stage
machines are so quiet, the seller and I talked in regular voices over
it. Came with 50ft of hose, regulator, water separator and a paint gun! I
may not deserve it, but somebody must be watching out for me. All this for
just $100 more than that stupid Wagner sprayer! I paid the man, and
confession #1 no longer applies, although #2 just got worse.

(I copy my wife on these post, so Dawn, ah, yes, I spent more money on the
truck, but look at it as a capital investment... Think of all the projects
we can do with an air compressor! Ok, what do you want as penance?)

I'd appreciate any compressor maintenance/spraying tips any of you may have
time to share. And thanks to all who responded on the engine colors. See:
http://enterprise.powerup.com.au/%7Edjr/paint.html
If you have the same question.

Thanks,

Chris Davis