M37 fuel problems, update #2

From: John Doyle (jdoyle@writeme.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 15:49:05 PDT

Today I got the new fuel pump in. It's identical to
the previous one (which apparently isn't the original
pump b/c it's a single stage pump with a glass
sediment trap).

I put the new one on - took care to line up the gasket
according to the position of the old one.

Tried to start the beast. No luck. No fuel would make it
to the glass sediment bowl. I got out a pump and attempted
to pull fuel up to the pump. No luck. I went out and got
10' of 5/16" rubber fuel line and ran it from the fuel filter on
the firewall over to the fuel pump. Pumped gas to the fuel
pump using the 'priming pump' I was testing with. Attached
hose- no fuel getting to carb.

What gives?!

Earlier I took an air hose and made sure that there were no
clogs in the lines. Everything blew out ok- clean too I might
add.

What else can it be? I'm no A+ certified mechanic by any
means, but this is getting frustrating because there isn't
much else I can think to check. What could I be missing?

How about where the fuel pump attaches to the 'cam' in the block...
will that fit more than one way? It took me nearly a 1/2 hour to
get that bugger on flush and bolted in.

Thanks for all the help,
John