Re: [MV] WHY WE GOT CAUGHT - WE WERE STUPID

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 23:06:28 PDT

>YEP We were totally "Virus Stupid"

Speak for yourself please.

>I have read all the threads and most people are just plain lucky.

Some may have been lucky, others just know what's going on.

>...and then we whine when we get caught.

Sorry but I only whine about de-milling and my IRS bill.

>You ABSOLUTELY MUST Update your "protection" weekly !

This will not guarentee anything. I for one do not use virus scanners and
have never even once had a problem. I've also been programming since the
mid 70's thru the early 90's and watched the rise of micro-suck and
intel-ligentless and all the good and bad that has come with them. However
to be virus savy one does not need to be a programmer or the like. While
the actual details and methods of virus reproduction are getting more
advanced, the whole concept of keeping them at a safe distance is pretty simple.

>This does NOT mean you have the latest protection against dozens of NEW
>virus's

And you never will, how do you think they find out about these in the first
place?

>In march 2001 we stopped 3 infections in their tracks

Yea but you wouldn't be infected at all unless you provided a ripe
envirnoment for the virus to launch itself. Having a virus carrying file on
your system is harmless. You, or certain software that you put and allow to
run on your system, are what let the virus take root.

But like you said, it is a bit off topic isn't it?

je