Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 14:59:26 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bobby Joe Pendleton II" <bobbyjoe@chartertn.net>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

> I don't think the mosquito would have survived the raids over Germany.

"Did" is more appropriate than "would".

>The flak would have ripped them apart. It was hard on the B17's, but they
took
> massive damage and still brought their crews home.

Of course many were hit, however, the tactic of speed at a lower level made
it a very difficult target together with the diminutive size. The laminated
construction attributed to a very good level of survivability.

One weakness lay in the leading edge wing root radiators, these were
vulnerable to shrapnel damage from flak, but especially exploding V-1's and
bombers when used as night fighters.

Richard
Southampton - England